Sunday, September 11, 2011

Keeping busy....

Last year our Bishop asked me to have the Primary Program in September even though we usually would have it at the end of October. So we scheduled it for September 25th.(Which has now been rescheduled in October-but that is a story for another day!)  So my presidency and I have been working on the Program in August.

This is usually how our desk looks when I work on Primary things. KP loves it- okay not really, but he is a good sport and puts up with it. I have always needed to spread my work out- and I will take up every inch of space I get. :) Our desk has looked like this plenty over the last 3 years whether preparing a preschool lesson or working on a Primary lesson or project.  I have also kept busy with the girls getting back into school and all the homework that I get to check and help with, plus other projects that they want to be involved in.

This year both Allison and Brooke wanted to run for Student Council. They had to make posters and write a speech to give to their class. Here is Allison's poster-

It helps when you have a last name that you can do some catchy slogan's with. Here is Brooke's poster-
Allison won and Brooke did not. Brooke's odds were not in her favor as she is in a high ability class which has both 3rd and 4th graders and the class voted for the 4th graders. I tried to explain that her situation was unique, but I think she still thought that Allison was more popular then her and that is why she lost and Allison won. I didn't think I would have to worry about these issues until middle school, but alas they come anyway. I guess I am very sensitive to the issue because of a general conference talk awhile back that I heard that the parents always told one daughter that she was beautiful and the other daughter that she was smart. All good things, but all the girls could focus on was that the beautiful one thought she was dumb, and the other thought that she was ugly. I know my girls will face disappointments in life, but it is hard to know the right thing to say all the time. I just hope that I can give them enough to have good self esteem.

The 4th graders can actually run for office if they win in their classroom elections.Allison had to make 2 more posters and write a speech that she gives over the loud speaker and then the 3rd and 4th graders vote who they want in office. Here is her other poster that she made two of:
One of Allison's dreams is becoming the 1st female President of the United States-so there is a funny story behind her running for Vice president. All but two of the 4th graders wanted to run for president-Allison included. But then when no one raised their hand for who wanted to run for Vice president-Allison saw that her chances of winning Vice president were greater so she changed her mind. So she will mostly be running for office by herself. She is no dummy- the whole motivation behind wanting to run for office is that the President and Vice president get to talk in front of the whole school during assemblies and do announcements in the morning. And that appeals to her- it sure didn't appeal to me at that age. The kids vote on Friday- we shall see how it goes.

0 comments: