Saturday, February 5, 2011

Spring Can't Come Fast Enough!

I remember watching the news as a teenager in Colorado showing the ice storms in the Midwest and thinking "I am so glad we don't get anything like that here. That looks miserable." Now fast forward about 15 years and I am living in the Midwest and going through an ice storm- and I would have to say- IT IS MISERABLE! I have never been more fearful of walking down my drive way then I have been the last few days. Here are some pictures to show you our nature made ice rink.
The gutters filled up with ice and so the freezing rain had to find other avenues to flow. Like over the raingutters.
And down the siding of our house.
The first day we took this picture of our frozen grass. That night it decided to snow "ice pellets" and more freezing rain to add to the already accumulating ice.
After this we (my husband and I) decided to get a shovel and see if we could chunk up the ice and get rid of it. This is our pathetic attempt at clearing out the ice. We made a small divet. The ice was so thick we decided it wasn't worth the attempt.
The only redeeming quality of the ice storm is that it makes everything sparkle in the sunlight.
The girls had 3 days off of school because of the ice mess. Little C spent her time playing with sisters, mom & dad, and building castle like sctructures for all her little petshops and animals.
The other girls spent their time playing wii games and Phase 10 with mom or dad, and entertaining themselves in other ways. We even carefully walked on the ice around the nieghborhood to walk to friends houses. With 3 days of not having to run kids to different activities I got to make our Master bedroom go from this: ( Yes it took me several tries at getting the "right" blue-gotta love samples)
To this! I have had the paint for 3 months now, so I am so glad that slowly, but surely, I got it painted. Now the real chore is to re-organize the bedroom. Like the bookshelf where I had to take all the books out to move it to the middle of the room and then threw books back in there to get them off the floor? Well at least I can hang up pictures and things now.
And then after thinking that the ice mess couldn't get any worse, mother nature decides to throw a bunch of snow on top today. Sweet! Maybe I can take a child's mindset and say " The ice is out of sight, so out of mind right?"
So yes, Spring can't come soon enough!!

2 comments:

Perlgirl said...

HAHA.. I was thinking about you during all this mess and wondering how you guys were holding up! I can't believe that ice!! BE CAREFUL!! Maybe it's time to move back to colorado? :) At least you still have power and heat.. without that you'd be miserable!! CAn't wait to see you guys in April.

Katherine said...

Yes, Spring come soon!!!