We went to the Holcomb Observatory & Planetarium (at Butler University) last Saturday night. I remember going to the Denver, CO Planetarium and enjoying it, so I thought the kids might enjoy going to this one. My expectations were set a little high because of Denver, so I made a pros and cons list of the night.
Here are the pros and cons:
Cons:
1. They didn't take credit cards and between me and my husband we came up with $6 cash- Charge for a family of five was $7. Sooo, I had to write a check.
2. It was smaller then I realized -maybe I set my expectations too high with remembering how big Denver's was
3. They had uncomfortable wooden benches- how can you lean back and look up at the ceiling if your neck and back are so uncomfortable
4. They showed a SLIDE SHOW (really?!) of Saturn on only two parts of the whole ceiling area- we were not in the part where we could look ahead and see it in front of us- we had to look to the side to see it
5. They finally turned out the lights and showed us what the night sky would look like. Then proceeded to shine the red laser pointer up at the ceiling to point out different constellations that I could never envision.
Pros:
1. At least they accepted checks so we didn't have to get there and then turn around and go home.
2. The student giving the slide show presentation was good for a laugh (not because he was funny) Is that mean?
3. We did get to look through the big telescope and ACTUALLY see Saturn in space, which was a miracle because that night we had a clear night sky to see and not all stormy like the weather had been.
4. The girls had a good time because they had never gone to a Planetarium before, and it at least kept their interest enough that they didn't fall asleep.
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Planetarium
Posted by Quirkle at 5:42 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
at least you took them to "educate" them. You just need to come back to colorado to give them the "real" experience.
Oh, what a funny post! I love that you had some "pros".
Post a Comment